Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Abby Chambers - Nan Goldin

(I got the link from my darkroom blackboard page so I don't think I can link it)

Nan Goldin

1) which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why?  

What really caught my eye was how her photos feel like snapshots. It looks like she just saw something she wanted to remember and she just took the photo, but they still feel like thought was put into the composition. It's like a happy medium between making a taking a photo.

2) what do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions? 

After reading about her work, I realize that what she's doing is creating what's almost like a visual diary of people and relationships. She talks a lot about how photos can stimulate every part of your memory and she's capturing memories. She also mentions that later she realized that she's created memories in a the way that she remembers people, not the way they actually were. She also says she doesn’t want to “lose the real memory of anyone again”, and I think that’s something a lot of people, myself included, should strive to do when photographing people. 

 3) how do you personally respond to these choices and intents?  

I personally really enjoy the concept behind her work. I liked the photos originally, but reading about why she was making them is what really made me appreciate her work. I also like to create a "visual diary" of sorts; I often take photos for the sake of documenting memories. It's interesting to see how she does it in a more artistic way.






No comments:

Post a Comment