Friday, November 30, 2018

Eugene Richards "The Run of Times" - Denver Edmonds




1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions?
I enjoying the positioning of each subject. This element allows viewers to focus on light and contrast in the photo. However, there is no dramatic lighting within these photographs, which I appreciate because I feel as though it would take away from the subjects and the movement. The choice of black and white is interesting because it allows viewers to focus on the subjects and the stories presented without being distracted by color.

2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are?
I feel as though Richards wanted to capture clear stories within these photos. Without using color, the artist  really had to focus on light, environment, and subjects. Each photograph depicts relatable emotions and events that could occur to anyone. I feel as though these photographs are an appreciate for life because of its spontaneousness.  

3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts?
I enjoy how Richards compensates for the lack of color by providing intriguing elements. The tension shown by the positioning and emotion of the subjects keeps me interested to know more. The little boy playing with the white mask allows me to wonder about race and nativity. The positioning in the middle photo is captured so well. The bride has a very calm face while being surrounded by laughing boys. The low light on the bride and laughing boy puts both subjects in the story. The angles of the water in the bottom picture create these mystical shapes around the subjects. 

4) Why I chose this artist?
I chose this artist because I am intrigued by the idea of not focusing on formal elements as much as the story told within the photos. Formal elements are important, but I feel as though Richards managed to focus on more subjects, positioning, and movement rather than light, color, and environment. This intrigues me because there are many people with definitions of what photography is and this usually is followed by rules and perceptions. However, I enjoy artists that don't necessarily follow rules and just allow their pictures to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment