Sunday, March 29, 2015

Selasi Fynn- Weekly Artist Post

Gabriel Orozco
http://www.artnet.com/artists/gabriel-orozco/




Gabriel Orozco is a Mexican American photographer, sculptor, and painter based in both New York and Mexico City. Orozco uses water, sculpture, and everyday objects in may of his photos, with one of his more famous projects, titled Cats and Watermelons eying composed of 11 cans of cat food sitting on top of watermelons. Orozco has been featured in many international museums and allows his extensive travel history to influence his photos as well as the rest of his work. 

Im unsure as to whether or not all three of these photos are from the same project, but they look like they could be. I feel like water could definitely be one of his themes or something Orozco feels is important to make photos of. Some of his other works shows, hat seem like handmade clay bowls filled with water. I think it's interesting how he finds a way to frame the same element in ways that differ so much from each other. It's either water as it sits in it's environments, or he finds a way to isolate water, be it with an actual container against a white background or just blurring the rest of the photo like what he seems to have done in the first photo. 

Each of these pictures makes me feel a different way. The first one make me feel very small, in comparison to there things, almost like I am the same size as the container the water is in. It makes me feel very aware of the space I'm in. The second photo seems very abstract to me. The more I look at it, the more I start to think that it's not even a photo of water. The third photo for some reason reminds me of the photos I've seen from when Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana. I feel like I should be seeing people on the rooftops instead of water. It makes me feel a bit uneasy but I also think that the way the sky reflects off the water on the rooftop is really beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment