Sunday, March 1, 2015

Selasi Fynn- Weekly Artist Post (#7)




These pictures are from Kirsty Mackay's project titled "Documentary." Some of the pictures are in black and white, but others are in color. Mackay is stationed in Bristol but has worked with photographers all over the UK. She has also worked in New York. Her current work includes making pictures of passerby on the street. 

In her "About Me" section of her website, Mackay says she is concerned with photographing the, "subtle and everyday personal accessories and nuances used by people that so precisely reflect our society and identify our times. " I think this is a perfect explanation of the theme of this specific project. Mackay is interested in documenting the little things in life and not necessarily making them important, but making sure they are recognized as little moments. 

When I first flipped through some of Mackay's pictures, I found them a bit dull and boring, but looking through them a second time and paying attention to the details, I appreciate her photos. I couldn't say she is one of my favorite photographers, but I really appreciate the pictures she makes and the reason she has behind making the pictures that she does. Looking at these pictures makes me feel calm and at ease. Her decisions as far as color goes really work for her pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment