Sunday, March 1, 2015

Ayana Chavis - Weekly Artist Post

Steve McCurry




1. McCurry's work especially in his portraits seems to use a shallow depth of focus, which seems appropriate if the picture is about the person in it. Other technicalities are a faster shutter speed, which could be used to capture a clearer photo if the person decides they should move. Personally I cannot tell whether he is using digital or film in some of his photos, but judging from the dates of a great deal of his portraits, he used film in his earlier days as a photographer.

2. Thematically speaking, it seems that McCurry is attracted to color and textures in the photos he chooses to make with his subjects. He seems to choose subjects who have a story to tell, and it can been seen that he tries to portray their stories through his photography. He seems to have a large interest in Eastern people.

3. Since this week's assignment was to focus on portraits, I figured I would look up the genre. I had seen some of McCurry's photos previously, and I really admire his portrayal of turmoil in societies and the everyday people within them. The colors are a big element to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment