Monday, March 16, 2015

Gabe Lugo - Post 3/4 - Susan Worsham

Susan Worsham



Susan Worsham is a Richmond, VA (represennntttt) based photographer. That's pretty much all I know about her, other than that she makes great photos. It would appear that she shoots film cameras in all of her published work. 

The composition of her photos is what really stands out to me. They do a great job of drawing your attention to a particular subject or feature, while still allowing you to appreciate the whole image. Nothing really strikes me as distracting in any of her images, which is refreshing. Her use of light in her portraits is brilliant and really adds another dimension to be appreciated in her photos. 

The first image is awesome. The way that the subject's face captures a the soft light coming in through the curtains creates a glow on her skin that really draws me into the photo. The focus of the image is sharp, which doesn't take the emphasis off of the setting she's in or force emphasis on the subject. This photo is just as much about her surroundings as it is about the subject. The walnuts are obviously important to her, and their presence in the center of the frame along with the subject make sure that the viewer recognizes that this photo is about more than just the person in the photo. 

The second image is really interesting to me, and I'm not sure that I can articulate why... But I'll just keep typing and we'll see what happens. As far as the technical stuff goes, the focus, composition, and exposure are great. The image to me shows a passing of time as nature begins to overtake manmade elements and grow around the table. The sun has faded the chairs and water has warped the table. The contrast between the blue chairs and the green foliage is great and draws my attention to the parts of the table/chairs that are being overtaken by the leaves. 



No comments:

Post a Comment