Monday, February 16, 2015

Tyler Zheng - Week 5 Artist Post

Michael Schlegel
 




The photographs are in black & white. Based on the texture of water, I believe he used long exposure. Not sure about the second one, but the other two appeared to be taken with lights(sunlight) coming from behind - high contrast. All three are taken on a cloudy day, which is why we don't see the reflection of sunlight in subjected water. I wonder if the artist photographed sometimes before the sunset/after sunrise to reach an optimum backlight and a longer exposure (darker environment.) He seems to prefer a zebra-like texture for his photographs. 

These are landscape photographs, so most of them are about nature. The long exposure technique make the water seem very calm. Things seem to be pure when they're in black&white from. 

The artist is chosen because it's similar to Michael Kenna, an artist from my week one post. I am currently trying to mimic this style of photography myself. Last time I tried, I had trouble with finding an ideal location/angle, avoiding direct sunlight, and extending exposure time. After looking through so many Michael Kenna photographs, I can definitely see the differences between these two artists. Michael Kenna tends to single out and object by making it small, but Michael Schlegel here likes to make them  (black&white) proportional to each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment