Sunday, February 8, 2015

Ashley Kronsberg - Weekly Artist Post #4

Dash Snow




Dash Snow was known for his unorthodox practices when making pictures. This was seen through both his content and practice - for example, many of his photos are of couples engaging in sexual activities and gruesome injuries as well as practices such as applying his semen to photos of authority figures including policemen. Snow often makes use of over exposure when creating his pictures which for me makes the private scenes he is capturing seem more "caught-in-the-moment" or as if the picture was taken without the subjects knowing. His photography feels authentic. I find myself being captivated by the colors highlighted by the overexposure Snow uses, such as the bright red color of the blood seen above. I am not quite sure I understand why Snow chose the scenes or practices his used; but I do believe that it gives an interesting take on how the photographer is almost an intruder into the world they are engaging in which is both an exciting and terrifying thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment