Monday, February 9, 2015

Daniel Potes - weekly artist post

Alexander Binder




Alexander Binder uses double exposures and long shutter speeds to induce a dreamlike quality to his images. Experimental photography such as his has always brought a certain glimmer of exploration to the otherwise known world of photography. his techniques are incredibly relevant to our class specifically because he uses similar techniques to what we are currently working on.

In naming his series "Gotham" I believe Binder to be evoking several qualities. the first which may not be true but from my viewing, is the dark crime ridden city of Batman's home Gotham city. However, it has also been known to mean New York, and in these images I believe Binder is calling to mind the darkness that can exist in any city. His use of double exposures to brighten certain parts of the frame are striking and really make me want to explore multiple exposures more.

His work speaks to me because my current work is associated a lot with double exposures of Richmond's skyline, While I only recently started the project already my images are beginning t look much like his, the only difference right now is his use of black and white contrasting my use of color, which I can definitely say is harder to double expose.

No comments:

Post a Comment