Sunday, February 1, 2015

Gabe Lugo - Three Things I Learned

1. Shooting at F1.8 you can create some really cool portraits with blurred backgrounds and tack sharp subjects.  I bought a 50mm lens and it renders blurred areas much better than my previous 18-55mm kit lens.

2. When shooting low-light action shots (Parties, etc) I would be better off if I focused on getting the subject in focus with minimal blur, and worry about getting the exposure perfect later in post-processing. I'd rather capture the moment and fix the photo later than miss it entirely because I was playing with settings. You can adjust exposure later, but you can't fix a blurred or out of focus shot.

3. Long exposures are great for great for bringing emphasis to light sources or creating light trails, IE: trails of headlights and taillights on a road. Get creative and just rest your camera on anything, even if you are bracing against your body to reduce blur. Little things like holding your breath during the shot can make a noticeable difference on long exposures.

No comments:

Post a Comment