Sunday, February 1, 2015

Tyler Zheng - Week 3 Artist Post

Claude Savona - The Kitchen Sink Series 







Don't know much about the technical choices in this series of pictures. What I can tell is that the artist tried to keep the photographs consistent, by focusing on the sink and the objects around it.

The artist wants to show people about how a kitchen sink in a household can tell a lot about the people who live there. Claude Savona is a London based photographer, most of these photographs are taken in local seniors' house kitchensElders tend to be full of culture because of their longer living experience, and the signs of these cultures are believed to be found around their kitchen sinks. Also, the diversity in such a large metropolitan made the collection even more interesting

I like this collection very much because I notice differences between the two cultures within me on daily basis. These differences are normally observed through people's behaviors and reactions. But for sure you can find them in many physical forms as well, such as the focus of this collection - Kitchen sinks. View of the kitchen sink in my family tends to be more crowded and messy because we cook so often. And in my friends' houses, small plants are commonly found by the window behind the sink.

In the first photograph. I feel that the kitchen is less used because of how empty it is, so maybe they're busy? The single cup potentially indicates a person living by himself/herself. The second photograph makes me feel happy. Well taken care of plants + spices give off a positive living style. And then the third photograph is what reminds me of the sink in my house - we place the cups along the counter because we drink tea/coffee so often. 



No comments:

Post a Comment