Friday, February 27, 2015

Dani Brown -- Weekly Artist Post #7

Salvi Danes





Salvi Danes employs a very interesting use of light and dark in his photos. His subjects are always well lit, and their settings are generally in focus, but lit maybe according to their importance to the photographer and to the scene. I can't be sure, but I think he uses a flash of some sort, particularly in the photo of the man with the leaf on his back.

Danes seems to be telling a story or telling the chronology of an average hunting day. This series, entitled Hunting Season, strongly alludes to the presence of the photographer. I don't believe that any of the images portray a scene that the viewer could assume exists if no one is watching. I believe it was the artist's intention to imply one person's view of a situation.

I like the subjectivity of Danes' photos. Each of his photos makes me feel like a participant in a scene, not an objective spectator; it's more like I'm standing beside the subject, than viewing the scene on a computer screen. I feel like the dogs are trying to smell me, and like I can feel the cold air when the man next to me is smoking a cigarette. I think this is a unique quality. Most of the time when I look at portraits, I feel like they are more about the subject or the scene, but these feel like they're more about the experience that the photograph makes the viewer a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment