Sunday, February 8, 2015

Selasi Fynn- Weekly Artist Post (#4)

Christopher Wool
More than half of Christopher Wool's pictures are in black and white. Wool is an artist and a photographer, and so he tends to take a lot of pictures of his artwork as well as other things. As far as his technique goes, I think Wool was more interested in what he was taking pictures of rather than how aesthetically pleasing they would be, which might explain his choice of all black and white photos. 

Looking at a lot of his pictures on his website, it's easy to tell that graffiti, more specifically text-based graffiti, served as a lot of inspiration for his artwork and photos. I also think that Wool wasn't afraid of creating some type of uneasiness for his audience due to some of the messages he sends in his artwork and his gravitation towards photographing things that might look somewhat disordered or out of place. He's not concerned about making pretty pictures. 

I really hated most of the first group of pictures that I saw, which were from his project titled, "East Broadway Breakdown." I think that I appreciate his photos of his artwork more than anything else and I really like that most of his pictures are in black and white. The lack of color doesn't make his photos look old, but it rather shows the kind of the rawness of the moment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment