Friday, January 23, 2015

Sierra Doucette- Weekly Artist Post

Viviane Sassen




These photos are from Vivian Sassen's book Pikin Slee, shot in a village in Surinam (formerly Dutch Guyana). Sassen's photos focus on color and shadow to create striking images. Sassen also uses different textures to make her photos interesting and to develop a focal point. 

In most of her pictures, Sassen either hides or disguises the subject's face. This is because she believes that photos cannot deliver an "absolute truth" and therefor attempting to show the fundamental truths of a person through a photograph is futile. 

I like the contrast of Sassen's photos and I think they're interesting to look at. The way she chooses to disguise her subjects gives me something to think about. While I agree that a photograph can't express the entirety of a person, I think that a photo can capture certain elements or aspects of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment