Sunday, January 18, 2015

Daniel Potes - What I Care About And Why?


I care about the Power structures of Society, what different societal bonds hold together this culture's understanding of Justice and Heteronormative roles. If society is ruled purely by the laws that are set forth, does that not create a system ripe for inequality and the ability to escape the systems plentiful laws and become a banned member of society, an Outlaw?
Photography allows a window from a specific perspective into the world as it is seen from the photographer, if the photographer has set himself apart from Society, if she/he has taken the path of the Giorgio Agamben's Homo Sacre, and become what the romans call the "Sacred" outlaw, then the images created through their lenses will also transcend the structures of power of our society and will take on new form and new meaning. 
I came to care about these things because of Prophetic Social Justice. Prophetic Social Justice has led me to question societal rules and standards just like the prophets of old. They witnessed the fall of their society before it came to pass by being aware of their societies mistakes and weaknesses. Like them, my goal is to use whatever method given to me in order to educate myself and others of the current situations in society and their implications for our future. For this I take photos. For this I do Archaeology. For this I became a journalist. For this I do what I do and I am what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment