Sunday, January 18, 2015

Mary Pforr- What I care about & why



I care about learning what values are important to me, and living up to them.
So far, the values I know play an important role in my life are enjoyment, stability, and passion.

It’s almost contradictory to say two of my values are stability and passion. At first I considered the fact that passion is not always stable- in actuality it’s more unstable. Yet in my life- with the current state I am in- these have become two values I strive to live up to side by side. I need the mental stability to pursue my passions. I need to find the passion to become stable to pursue that goal.

I’ve discovered these are of upmost importance to me lately by being in a place of complete instability and lacking the desire to continue my passions or discover new ones. Being back at a place where I can both get out of bed in the morning as well as work on a painting- a passion I’ve had since I can’t remember- makes me realize how desperate I am not to lose that again. Having stability in your life means being able to think, to decide, to pursue. Having passion means wanting, desperately so, to do what you enjoy- the next value I live by.

What I have discovered when I started taking the time to learn more about myself is that enjoyment can be difficult to achieve. I consider it different than happiness, than joy, than excitement. To me enjoyment is doing something because it is fulfilling rather than it simply being fun. Something being fun in my terms is an activity that can take the mind away from anxiety, worry, or stress. True enjoyment is fully considering how that activity is fulfilling some part of your life- whether it be mental, physical, or spiritual.

You can strive to find enjoyment in things you are both required to do and want to do. The importance of this to me is that without enjoyment life in itself will quickly become dull and somewhat pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment