Sunday, January 18, 2015

Ayana Chavis - Weekly Artist Post

Alexander Allison




1. Obviously, from the dates (1920s) of the photos they were definitely taken using an early film camera in the default setting of black and white. Most of Allison's work, donated to community libraries were 4x5 photos. He was an amateur photographer who seemingly took photos for personal enjoyment.

2. Allison's work focused on life in Louisiana, mainly local culture in New Orleans. Landscapes and portraits were his focus, as not many of his photos were abstract. He liked to portray everyday life of the people of Louisiana that in turn showed socio-economic status and race relations in the area.

3. Automatically Allison's photos intrigued me. I love black and white photos, photos that show the past and how things looked way back when (especially geography), culture and race relations especially in New Orleans. I had no idea Allison was an amateur photographer, so the fact that I find his photos so great inspires me that my amateur photos are great as well. I particularly love his multiple photos of "mammies" and their white children that they took care of. The dynamics of that relationship interests me so the fact that he captured that was something I was automatically drawn to.

No comments:

Post a Comment