Sunday, January 18, 2015

Gabe Lugo - Weekly Artist Feature

Tony Harmer 

Tony Harmer's Tumblr





1) I'm no expert, but it would appear that Tony Harmer uses a high resolution DSLR. He does a lot of commercial photography for automotive companies and other large businesses, so I'd imagine that working digitally makes this easier for him and his clients. He may work with film cameras in his personal time, but I'm not quite sure how to discern between the two at this stage of my photography education. The first two photos were clearly taken using a very long exposure time to create interesting lighting effects. 

2) Mr. Harmer's photos definitely seem to have a fairly common theme. If you cruise through his portfolio and his tumblr page, there is a ton of automotive and urban landscape photography. His photographs of automobiles are mostly well lit and fairly plain, while making good use of lighting to highlight details of the cars. His action shots of cars in motion generally have a lot of motion blur, while still maintaining a sharp focus on the vehicle so that no detail is lost. The first two photos that I posted show that he clearly enjoys urban photography, and experimenting with lighting in low-light photos.

3) I've known about Tony Harmer for a while, but never really reflected on his on how I felt about his photos. I've always just though, "damn, that looks cool", and my feelings towards his work pretty much ended there. I think his use of lighting is very interesting, and since we live in a city I too would enjoy learning how to replicate his style of photography in urban low-light shots.  I'm not a car guy, in that I don't know a lot about them... but I really like cars and can appreciate a particularly sexy looking car. Tony does a great job of highlighting the design features and details with his style of photography and use of lighting.  His work touches on two of the things I'd be interested in taking a lot of photos of. Cars, and urban landscapes. The fact that he uses lighting well to really make his photos stand out is something that I would like to learn too.

No comments:

Post a Comment