Sunday, January 18, 2015

Helen Westergren - What I Care About

I care about my place in this world. More recently, it’s been about finding exactly what that place is. This search for my place and longing to understand what I’m doing has influenced most decisions I’ve made in my life. Of course it’s vague and so a little bit inaccurate, but being able to use the skills and opportunities I have been given to better those around me is probably one of my most driving forces. I think most of this desire stems both from my faith and the feeling that I was put where I am for a reason. There is really no way to talk about these kinds of aspirations without sounding like an inspirational poster, but cliches exist for a reason.
I could break down this idea of place/belonging forever, but there are a few points that stick out as important. Of course the first is family and community. We are all influenced by the people around us, so I find a lot of importance in providing and loving for those who have done the same for me. The relationships I have had since I was young hold the most weight and often feel the most valuable because they have stayed with me.
My art work in another action I care about, perhaps a bit to much. Because I’m in school to better my skills it is constantly at the forefront of my mind, but even when I’m not explicitly working I find that i’m influenced by my art and the art of others. I can’t directly explain this passion, but I think that’s part of the joy I find in it. I am compelled by something to create, whether it is objects, photographs, ideas, and being able to act upon that compulsion is so valuable. 
I also care about the community around me, whether I know them or not. The art I see as most powerful is work that provides some type of social solace or assistance. Art is the ultimate academic pursuit, and being able to share that with others and use it’s unique characteristics to bring about change is very important to me. I want to use art to shift our culture, bring about new ideas and opportunities that no other medium of exchange can, and that is something that I deeply care about.
As un-profound as it is to discuss, I also care about what other people think of me. Gauging whether or not people like me, if I’m smart enough, cool enough, good enough, “the best”, etc has been my default thought process for a long time. I’m constantly trying to understand how people see me, for better or for worse. It has helped me to become hyper-aware of those around me, but also finds me losing my own voice among those who I feel know more than I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment