Sunday, January 25, 2015

Selasi Fynn- Weekly Artist Post (week 2)

Nakeya Brown




These pictures were created by photographer Nakeya Brown. She has a few different series, but these three are specifically from the series titled, "Hair Stories Untold." In this series she uses a lot of pink and blue to either create a bright background, or to add a pop of color against a neutral colored background.

Brown is obviously wanting to portray an overall image that women of color, specifically black women, and identify with. Hair is an important part of the African American culture and I feel like Brown wanted people to feel some sort of nostalgia when looking at these photos. Another thing I also noticed about this series is that there is no face to each of the pictures although there is a person in the photo. I think Brown decided to this in order to create some kind of a unified identity.

I respect Brown as an artist and I like her choice of color schemes in each of her series. Out of all her projects on her website, my favorite one is "The Refutation of "Good" Hair." I can relate with the message I think she's trying to portray through those pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment