Sunday, August 26, 2012

David Doubilet

When I was growing up, my mom would always tell me about her friend David Doubilet, and all of his incredible underwater adventures. They always sounded so exciting that I was more interested in the trips themselves than his actual photography. This changed a few months ago, when I decided to finally look at his work. The ocean is the most unexplored region on our planet, so David seems to me to be not only a photographer, but a pioneer. His photos capture the otherworldliness of our seas and inspire the imagination. David works for National Geographic, and in addition to his professional accomplishments, he also has been awarded the Explorer's Club Lowell Thomas Award and the Lennart Nilsson Award for his photography. See more of his work at his website




1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is really fascinating to me. I'm excited that you have a history with the name and his adventures, no doubt seeing his work accentuated your memory of the stories your mom told. I like the idea of photography as a means of discovery and viewing the world in a new light and Doubilet's mission just breathes the notion. The fact that he has personally explored these places makes his work not just pretty to look at, but gives it a deeper, more human meaning.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete