Saturday, August 25, 2012

Robin Schwartz.

I like it when photographers, or any artist for that matter, include themselves to some degree in their work. Robin Schwartz' blog says that it explores "inter-species relationships"with all her photos including the same young girl and animals.
I think it is safe to assume that the girl is her daughter - she appears in (from what I can see) all of her pictures. If its not her daughter the images still manage to evoke a sense of maternity, it's a bit difficult to describe so maybe this picture will better explain it:


The image reminds me of the kind my Mum would take of me when I was young, most of them feel like they were taken out of a family photo album.




I was drawn to Robin Schwartz' work because I found the casual, "family photo book" look quite refreshing. The pictures, even the more fantasised ones have a sort of comfort or normality about them - I think the little girl helps that a lot.

Further research says yes it is her daughter - http://rocketscience.tumblr.com/post/3448831185/robin-schwartz-new-york





This is her official website: http://www.robinschwartz.net .

1 comment:

  1. I'm really drawn to the child/animal dynamic here. There's definitely a sense of innocence here....at the same time, that little girl has a very serious look of maturity on her face, which I also find interesting both visually and psychologically.
    I agree with the sense of maternity you picked up on here, to some extent (for me at least) it's almost like the girl is expressing that role herself with the animals around her, reflecting the care and attitude of the photographer.
    And I too find the family-photo book style charming.

    ReplyDelete