Monday, August 27, 2012

Manuel Vazquez




While immediately, I was off-put by Vazquez' work, the more I observed it the more it seemed to captivate me. His use of light (or lack thereof), the linear perspectives, and his image of the person drew my interest. Each photo seems to view humanity as a lonely, crowded thing - we see people close together on small squares of light, but far apart from one another, wandering crowds, and what appear to be darkened streets. Everything seems to utilize the idea of a "void" that people exist within. I was very taken with his work.



2 comments:

  1. It's really interesting how the lack of light can play tricks on our eyes! The way that the little light you do see in his photographs act as spotlights for these normal people is a really interesting take on shooting pictures of people in a "crowded" place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristina--Well said, and I'm similarly drawn to this kind of work. Love the exaggerated use of light and the depth. These photographs are really touching to me, like we're all alone, but walking in the same direction. I think the implied lines reinforce that visually. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete