Sunday, October 30, 2011

Jack Davidson




(Not sure what happened to the photographs I uploaded earlier)

Jack Davidson is a (mostly) portrait photographer (he has about nine short films he has on his official website) from the United Kingdom.
His portraits are definitely oddities, bizarre, but I do not always see a consistent effect. This is great because it allows for him to display his ability to vary his photographs/effects and still make them "work." Most of his black and white photographs are kind of weird, creepy, with minimal lighting and/or strong contrast. The subjects themselves are interesting and fun on their own. Sometimes it takes me a second to figure out what is going on in the image and sometimes I just can't figure out how he did some effects.
And then there are some what he calls miscellany work, work that could have been commissioned or that are just... seemingly random. But I'm not complaining. They're odd, some of them edited and mixed media-ed. The two images below in particular just threw me off; I see that as an addition to his dynamic body of work. But I love this lioness image - yes, probably because lions are my favorite animal - partially because it looks so stock-photo-y, so National Geographic compared to the rest of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment