Sunday, September 16, 2012

Janine Antoni

Lick and Lather, 1993
Antoni makes busts of herself made out of chocolate and soap and eats at the chocolate to distort herself and uses the soap bust to wash herself until her features are no longer recognizable.
Saddle, 2000
Antoni creates a ghost like version of herself by allowing cowhide to harden to the shape of her body.

Loving Care, 1993
Antoni uses her hair as a paintbrush and paints the floor with hair dye.

I love how Janine Antoni throws herself into her work and how each piece creates so many different responses. For instance in Lick and Lather, the first thought that comes to my head is "Whoa, awesome! I want myself made out of chocolate...." but after that thought, then I'm faced with ideas of loss of identity, which are decidedly less cheery than my first thought.

Check out more of her work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment