Thursday, October 10, 2013

What is Kurt Weston afraid of? -Charlotte Laurance

When trying to find new artists to talk about that interest me, I stumbled across an article/slideshow about photographs created by blind photographers. Immediately this struck me as impossible. While not all the artists featured are completely blind, one mans work stuck out to me in particular. Kurt Weston contracted AIDS in 1996 and slowly began to lose his vision. Weston is not 100% blind, but his vision is faint. When I looked into him further I found a series of black and white images called "Blind Vision". Each of these photographs demonstrates the use of harsh lighting and concepts. Each photo speaks to vision, the destruction of vision, the healing of vision and the 'journey towards infinite darkness". In Weston's artist statement for the work, he says that this series is based on his impending fear to completely lose his vision, so therefore, he photographs it. To push himself further he says that each photograph is created to create a "metaphysical journey to form a unique vision beyond sight"








No comments:

Post a Comment