Sunday, October 20, 2013

Abbey Reddington-- Jonathan Lovekin




My journey upon finding the photographer for this weeks blog post came from my hour procrastination on Pinterest, drooling over and "pinning" meals I'll never actually be able to recreate. This got me thinking, what tricks the viewer to drool over these fictional feast? The answer came as a shock to me; the same photographic tricks used by portraitists and landscape photographers. Jonathan Lovekin, photographer and author of multiple cookbooks, showed me the beauty and art behind food photography.

When browsing through his portfolio, I realized that Lovekin's focus varied greatly from not only food but landscapes. His style, however, remains fluid.  Beautiful, light shades of color dance across the image. Soft light graces the subject, and avoids taking away way Lovekin's purpose of the photograph. He understands composition and and how to frame the scene perfectly. He is challenged with time restraints similar to a full time landscape photographer trying to get an image during a certain hour, with the right shadows. Lovekin is challenged by the race against the clock, preserving the steaming food before him that is minutes away from being cold and ordinary. This week taught me to never overlook art, for it is everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment