Sunday, June 5, 2016

Quinn Mehler- Artist post




Mari Kojima is a photographer from Shimane, Japan. She went to Columbia College in Chicago. After studying abroad she had a family emergency and moved back to Japan in 2008. While back home she discovered photography as a way to express her happiness and uncertainties about life.

I was attracted to Mari's work because there is a mystery in every picture. As I look through her images I feel that I have to stop and inspect each one in detail in order to try and figure it out. Mostly I just ask, "What was she thinking?" Much of her work seems to be able self reflection things she happens upon that most people would be too busy to notice.

I am most compelled by her portraits. When I look at her pictures I feel like I am looking through the eyes of a Japanese person--this as opposed to generic images of Japanese life. I am fascinated with the culture and her pictures represent everyday life with not everyday content.




No comments:

Post a Comment