Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Matilde McCann - Artist Post




Richard Renaldi is a Chicago native photographer. Born in 1968, he received a BFA from NYU in 1990 and has been taking photos successfully since having been featured in many galleries and winning a plethora of awards. The project featured above is called "Touching Strangers". It consists in asking strangers to pose with one another touching each other, never having met before. The result is a series of loud photos where the uniqueness of the people exalt. I choose the three photos based on the intimacy of the people within. When making portraits I want to go out of my comfort level and speak with people I wouldn't in a normal basis. I also want to them to pose for me candidly, but measuredly. All three photos are posed intentionally and that is what gives them purpose and makes them beautiful. I chose the first photo because of the naturalness of the photo regarding the awkward position the subjects where most likely put in. I want to mimic fluidity in my portraits. I chose the second portrait because even if the posing is stiff, the lighting is magnificent. I want to be able to place my subjects in optimum conditions to how they can look. I chose the last photo because for some reason it felt socially charged. If I could feel a tension being broken in the photo than it has done what I it was made to do. I extract from this photo the hope of creating an image open for discussion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment