Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Matilde McCann - Artist Post



Kevin Faingaert is a documentary and portrait photographer based out of Gent, Belgium. His photo making style centers on photographing those tucked away capturing raw moments rare to the life lived in most first world countries. He enjoys documenting off the grid communities and sub-cultures.

When choosing the three portraits I had a overall relaying theme which is well summed up with the word "weathered". Each portrait belongs to a separate photo series. The first one is a shot from the series "Foroyar" where Faingaert captured life on the remote Faroe Islands off of Denmark. I choose this man because of the fact that he wasn't looking at the camera. Also his expression and hair indicate indifference and expertise at life. He does not care what the photographer thinks of him, and the unkept manner of his hair shows uniqueness in an older gentlemen. The second photo belongs to the photo series "Matavenero" and was taken in a small eco-village in the north of Spain. Again, I chose the certain portrait for the unconventionality of the man featured. He is also older and you can tell has lived a long full life. The coloring is beautiful as is the shadowing on the left side of the man's face. I also like his hair and how again he goes against the grain on how older men usually keep it. The last photo belongs to the photo series titled "Banger Days" and captures one of the men racing in the spectacle. Recurring to my theme, he looks in control and skeptical. He is comfortable enough in his own skin to pass judgement on others, and not necessarily resenting them, but putting himself in a situation where comes out winning. I also like the angle of the shot and it makes me question the position of the photographer.

I chose these photos because I like unique people and being able to dissect their faces at no risk. I am especially a tune to "crazy" older people as I find it strange and question why most have the same haircut and clothes.


No comments:

Post a Comment