Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Matilde McCann - Artist Post



Peter Hujar was a photographer prominent in the 70's and 80's famous for his black and white portraits. Why I chose Hujar was due to his clear aesthetic and theme. When making portraits I believe it is important to have a flow between images. Hujar likes to photograph woman, and always will develop the film in black and white. His subjects convey emotion and story which he dramatizes with use of color and shadow. I chose the first image because she is very beautiful to me in it. She depicts the emotion "pensive" while simultaneously seeming tough and strong. I aim to retract emotion from my portrait subjects. The second one I like because she is a character. Hujar's subjects are pieces of art themselves. She was photographed because she looks weird and I appreciate that. The last photo I chose because old ladies are very photogenic. There is history in her wrinkles and spunk in her glasses. She is also caught talking which I find even more charming. All in all, I take from Hujar's work the importance of themes and brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment