Sunday, June 5, 2016

Quinn Mehler - Artist post




Marija Kovac is a photographer based out of Novi Sad, Serbia. She has been featured in many publications all over the world. She is best known for her self portrait series.

Marija's work has a lot to do with pattern and repetition. One form by itself is often not as strong as that same object duplicated many of times over. I am attracted to her use of unique shadow formations, as I try to do the same in my own work. I think that shadows are very unique in which they present the absence of light and often portray a feeling of coldness or loneliness.

At first I wasn't quite sure why I was compelled by her work. Sure they have great tonal range and composition, but there's more than that. As I studied her pictures I realized that most of her pictures represent a form of isolation. In her self portrait series she is mostly in the shadows or faced away from the camera. She is also in a domestic setting, which I find the most relatable since most people isolate themselves in their room when they are sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment