Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Georgia Cipriani - Artist Post 1

"Polaroids of Women"


1. Walker Evans was an American photographer who was known for his work with the Farm Security Administration documenting the effects of the Great Depression. He was born in St. Louis, MO in 1903 and died in New Haven, CT in 1975. His work is mainly social realism.

2. I chose these three images for the immediate drama I felt when looking at them. When I think of polaroids of women I do not think of these images. These are abrasive and different and I like different.

3. I believe he chose to take these images for many reasons but the first and most important is exactly because of the way most people objectify women. This is one of the reasons why when I read the title of his series I was not expecting what I saw. His reasoning fits exactly into what I was expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment