Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Devin Baker - Artist Post 1

Khalik Allah






 

1) Khalik Allah a native of Harlem, USA, also known as Harlem, NY. He is known for his night photography techniques that use no flash, or Camera Ministry as he calls it. He uses light from his surroundings to help tell a story. He places a light on the dark, to show people things that they may not want to be seen. "Placing a finger right where it often hurts" he is known for saying.


2) I am a fan of Khalik Allah because of his gritty use of light. He captures special color tones which give of a sense of brooding. This brooding creates an intense understanding of the true nature of the streets. Not just in Harlem, but in many of your urban lower income areas. His use of shadow and contrast to help the image feel more in your face. To me these are the definition of street photography. Very emotional and intense. It is also the area where I was born so I feel like I understand. I do believe in showing people what they are afraid to pay attention to.


3) I believe the three images I have chosen help demonstrate Khalik vision when it comes to placing a lens on the hard truths of the world. I believe these images help people look at themselves and the lifestyle that they are fortunate to live. These images give most the option to look, the option to learn a little something, the option to realize how the culture/society we’re embedded in contains a bit more than what we are used to seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment