Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Ellie Bailey - Artist Post 2

Michael Massaia




I am inspired by Michael Massaia, a self-taught photographer who mastered the gelatin silver printing process. As an insomniac Massaia has the time to question his surroundings in New Jersey. From looking through his photos, he seems to photograph seemingly simple things/ideas being very specific at what time he takes the photos, most of which are in black and white. I appreciate an artist who can show me a different perspective of something I see everyday but don't recognize or appreciate, by showing it in a different 'light'. 
This series especially inspires me because Massaia has taken something so fun and delicious and showed its destruction. This is meant to illustrate the loving and nostalgic moments of our childhoods that often turned into or were shadowed by darkness or confusion. It's such a simple process to let an ice cream bar melt, but it turns out to mean so much. 
I hope to take pictures that are simple, do not require a lot of alteration, but that mean something so great. I would want people to stop at my photo and immediately draw a conclusion to what it means. to each person it could mean something different, but in a sense it's all the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment