Monday, April 13, 2015

Selasi Fynn- Weekly Artist Post

Paola Guerra 
another link 



Paola Guerra is a photographer based in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. Guerra uses light in very interesting ways in many of her photos. There is either a really good balance of light all around or there is very limited light and the little light that is used draws in the audiences attention. It's really easy to tell that Guerra spends a lot of time working with the lighting situation for her photos.

Thematically, I think Guerra's aim might have been to make interning photos of things one wouldn't normally find interesting. She wants whoever is looking at her photos to be very aware...maybe of their surroundings, or of themselves in conjunction with their emotions while looking at the photo, their surroundings, and of the photos themselves. She makes many pictures with things like stacks of paper towels, what seem like bedsheets, and things that she probably comes across during her daily routines.

Guerra does a good job of isolating things from a larger perspective and it is easy to tell that that is her intention. That is a skill that I wanted to explore/work on/develop while working on my final project. The challenge I have with portraying isolated thing from  larger group is that in my photos you can't really tell that I was trying to isolate something. It just looks like I tried to make a photo of something. I think Paola Guerra is definitely someone I will look to for inspiration when working on my final project.

No comments:

Post a Comment