Monday, May 30, 2016

Quinn Mehler - artist post

Natan Vance







I recently discovered this artist on Flickr. Unfortunately there is little information about him, but I believe he's from Vancouver. He is a freelance photographer and has an extensive collection of great photographs in his archive. Most of the photos he composes are landscapes, animals, and daily city street life.

I was immediately drawn to these pictures because of the striking contrast between shadows and highlights. I am typically drawn to underexposed photos with high contrast. It surprised me to look into his archives (going back to 2012)--he has a very consistent dark overlay and most of his work has a blue or green filter over it. The color is subtle enough to work as stylistic element. I had not even noticed the simple add of color post-processing until I viewed the thumbnails of his work. I am not usually the fondest of landscape photography, but this guy is amazing at it--he controls the scene very well with his exposure choices.

There is a dream-like sensation coming from these photos. I would describe it as reverie. Many of his photos have a soft focus. I am compelled by this work especially by the detail in the highlights. I struggle with color in my own work and this guy is an inspiration to me because you can see how meticulous he is post-production. His similar color choices make his work uniformly work as a body. I feel as though any of his pictures would work well as a set together. The blue and green make his work appear more cold and distant. Maybe that's why I think of them as a dream-like state.


No comments:

Post a Comment