Monday, May 30, 2016

Jalisa Marino - Artist Post

Masha Svyatogor







Masha Svyatogor is a photographer from Minsk, Belarus. These pictures are from her project called "My Poor Little Room of Imagination."

One thing that stood out the most to me about Mashas pictures is that they all play with light and shadows as well as color contrast. The first picture shows a woman on a bed in the fetal position. It is as though her imagination has gotten so out of hand that anxiety has kicked in and she doesn't know what to do with herself. The second picture is of a street and streets lights in the rain/fog late at night. The blue light to the left of the picture shows the gloom in which imagination could lead you and the bright yellow lights everywhere else could be the answer to all their problems. The third picture shows a skeleton hanging from a chandelier. Imagination has gotten so unrealistic and difficult to become true that maybe the only answer is death.

I really liked these pictures because as I was scrolling through entire project it, the story of the pictures and meaning was slowly unfolding. I read them as though it was telling a story that leads to suicide. I have had a few close people to me be on the verge of suicide and I, along with a few others, have been able to talk them out of it. It is a very hard process, and I just want everyone to know that it is never the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment