Monday, May 30, 2016

Quinn Mehler - Artist Post

Rory Hamovit










































"A convergence between reality and the bizzare"
Rory Hamovit describes his work. He is a 23 year old photographer from Augusta, Maine, but currently living in San Fransisco. He graduated from Bard college with a BA in photography. He is one of the people I look up to in a lot of things, but I especially admire the way he talks about his own work. I feel photographers are magicians and what kind of magician would you be if you told all of your tricks?

His series visitations features a narrative series of black and white photos with some bizarre elements to them. Like he describes, Rory uses domestic suburbs to create his own horror-like series. In most of his photos the highlights are slightly blown out and the shadows are a pretty consistent dark gray.
I feel that he has a unique style in which that he portrays different identities of himself.

Once you look at an artist work for a while, you might notice some of the same things...a pattern for example. In many of his photos Rory actually uses himself in his pictures. I suppose he sets up a tripod and works with a remote (very diy). His words and his work both compelled me to start a start taking my work more seriously. If he can create amazing portraits by himself then so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment