Monday, May 30, 2016

Matilde McCann - Artist Post



1) Alvaro Deprit is a Spanish photographer living in Italy. He has a very pan-european educational background having obtained a German philology degree in Madrid, Spain and Hamberg, Germany and a sociology degree in Chieti, Italy. His photography style focuses on the critical details within a modern world as consequence of social trends such as immigration and cultural obscurity. His most recent work takes place in the southern most part of Spain, the long term project titled "al-andalus".

2) I choose these three photos specifically due to the lighting particular to each photo and their message out of context and within. The first photo belongs to the photo series titled "suspension". I selected it due to the elements featured which I found amusing, the placement of the hand, and the overall dark exposure of the photo. I like how the shadow of presumably the sun coming through a window lights up the hand coming out of the covers. I also enjoy the room itself, depicting an empty and poverty stricken scene while subtly not lacking in character. The second photo belongs to the photo series "al-andalus" and artistically paints a scene very much proper to Andalusian culture. I especially love the light on the Virgin's face, delicately highlighting the artisanship within the carving and tragic expression in her eyes. The last photo belongs to the photo series titled "black garden" and was chosen due to the focus of the photo and the undercast exposure. I admire the audacity of the photographer to make pictures of a man who is clearly uncomfortable. I also like the story behind the scene as you could assume the old man is most likely cripple.

3) I chose this photographer and these three photos because I like the realism behind his shooting. I was also drawn to the familiarity of the scenes. The second photo especially is something I've tried to get a photo of every time Holy Week rolls around, yet I fail in capturing the empty expression and glistening tears as Alvaro Deprit so masterfully did. What I take from his photos is art in simplicity. None of these scenes are out of there way weird or difficult to achieve. There are photos representative of their belonging and I could easily mimic the same dramatics in the environment around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment