Friday, December 7, 2018

Denver Edmonds - Roy DeCarava *post 14*




1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions?
I appreciate how Decarava really paid attention to composition. I feel as though there are some very intriguing angles within each image. Also, I am interested in the choice of lighting in each image. The  environments mostly seem to have one bright light source, which creates beautiful shadows on each figure. 
Lastly, I feel as though Decarava's images are more open than they are tight. The artist clearly knows how to crop within camera (especially since digital camera's were not available at that time), which is something that I (and other younger artist) struggle with a lot. 


2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are?
I feel as though Decarava's focus pertains to the imagery/ portrayal of black people. Each photograph casts the subjects in what feels like everyday environments. Yet, the way Decarava depicts the subjects causes them to stand out because of all the elements he is thinking about. His appreciation of black people is almost clearly represented through these images. 


3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts?
I am moved by the images because the way in which Decarava handled each environment and each photo. The artist made sure to display beauty in each frame by using various technical elements. This means there was minimal to no post editing within the photographs. As a result, it inspires me because Decarava pays such great attention to detail.


4) Why I chose this artist?
I chose this artist because of their appreciation of black people and how they handle each photograph. Representation is an extremely important element to me in portrait photography because it is limited a lot of the time. Especially during Decarava's time, black people were only considered photography worthy by other black people only. However, the artist handles each photograph in such a compelling way that allows each figure to be beautiful.  



No comments:

Post a Comment