Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Laurie Anderson




Anderson photographed men who cat called her on the street. Her artist statement says it all:

“As I walked along Houston Street with my fully automated Nikon.  I felt armed, ready. I passed a man who muttered ‘Wanna fuck?’  This was standard technique: the female passes and the male strikes at the last possible moment forcing the woman to backtrack if she should dare to object.  I wheeled around, furious. ‘Did you say that?’ He looked around surprised, then defiant ‘Yeah, so what the fuck if I did?’ I raised my Nikon, took aim began to focus.  His eyes darted back and forth, an undercover cop? CLICK.”

Through this piece she was able to take the power away from her male pursuers, giving them a momentary fear that they might be caught for something.

You can check out more of her work here.

3 comments: