Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Edward Hopper




I knew about Edward Hopper originally without actually knowing I knew him? I think we've all seen the diner picture? maybe:


(the picture is actually called 'Nighthawks') 

I re-found, or discovered other Edward Hopper images when I was trying to find artists who used light in interesting ways, I came across this picture: 


and wanted to see more.  

Edward Hopper (1882 - 1967) was an American realist painter and printmaker prominent during the 20th century. He was well known for oil paintings that reflected modern America.

His works have a really strong mood which I love and I feel like they would translate really well to photographs. 



2 comments:

  1. I Love Edward Hopper. His lines are so assertive, the space is almost more alive than the figures in them. Next time you're in DC go to the National portrait gallery (if you haven't already), they have some Hopper work there and it's amazing to see in person all the brushstrokes and effort he put into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's such an experience to stand in front of a Hopper painting, and even other famous artists. You learn about these artists and see their famous works over and over again but it's a completely different experience when they're physically inches away from your face.
      It's awesome.

      Delete