Saturday, June 7, 2014

Alison McCauley: Project-Havana by Night

Alison McCauley
The main themes that run through her work look at issues concerning identity and belonging, migration and living conditions.  These interests were doubtlessly born from Alison's experiences of constantly moving from country to country and the resulting ambivalence towards the idea of her own national identity and her feeling of not belonging to any particular country or community.  Among other projects, she is currently working on a long-term project documenting the lives of asylum seekers in Geneva.

I love this work for her ability to take a location and find characters in them and display them in a fashion that feels natural. I've been doing work in trying to capture a feel for the people and cities I am in focusing on the rougher areas that exist inside the city. I want to find why certain areas feel that they are rough and maybe I can find visual clues as to why.

No comments:

Post a Comment