Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Sydni Stearns - Messina Allegra post 1

Photographer- Messina Allegra

1.) Which of the artist's many technical choices are of interest to you and why?

This artist combines high fashion and obscure locations in her photos. In the majority of her photos, you will see that the model is wearing bold or subdued colors, or wearing something that is not commonly seen unless in the context of bold fashion. For example, in the fifth picture I have chosen, the model is wearing a large ruffled garment and this is a stand out aspect of the photo as well as the red shoes on top of the subdued background location. She combines elements in such a way that they all work in harmony together to create, what I think is, a beautiful photo.  She primarily is seen creating portraits or full body photos in different locations. She chooses to have the model just as in focus as the surrounding area as seen in the last photo I have chosen. The fashion aspects as well as the location choices work so well together and her editing of her photos is stunning to me. She creates a "moody" scene through her photo editing.

2.) What do you believe are the artist's conceptual and/or thematic intentions?

I believe that the artist's conceptual intentions are to create a photo that is not something you see everyday. These types of photos are difficult to conceive because you need the resources to take them. She needed to conceptualize her vision, decide what types of clothing to put on the model and what location to shoot at, figure out how she is going to get to that location and make it work. I think that this photographer aims for a "moody" feel for her photos and often chooses to photograph extravagant locations while the model is making a dramatic sort of face, not smiling or laughing etc. Each photo feels powerful.

3.) How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?

Personally, I think that these are stunning and powerful photos. I love her conceptual choices and the high fashion aspect as well as the crazy locations she shoots. I think that it is such a good choice to have the models make faces that seem to lack emotion because this adds a dramatic effect that would not otherwise be present if the model were smiling or laughing. I think her editing of her photos is so well done, it is not too much editing or too little, it complements the photo so well. The background and foreground also complement each other. The color choices are beautiful to me.  I think that her photos are so well done and have a consistent theme/mood to them that I greatly enjoy and am inspired by.

4.) Reasoning of why I chose this artist:

I chose this artist instead of choosing a peer reviewed photographer because I have been inspired by her photos since I was in high school. Messina is someone I have always admired when it comes to her editing and creative choices. I wanted to choose a photographer that know of well and am always looking forward to seeing new work from. Messina is currently my favorite photographer and is a big inspiration to me. I am intrigued by her photos and I want to experiment with her style of editing. I am very interested in fashion photography and hope to have a career in this field so I love finding fashion photographers on platforms such as instagram that I can look up to and refer to.








(I can't decide on only 3!)

No comments:

Post a Comment