Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Amanda Burton - Terraylnn joy post 1

Terralynn Joy


1) Which of the artist’s many technical choices are of interest to you and why? 
When first coming upon Terra on Instagram, I was immediately drawn to her editing style. Her photos were very soft, but also consisted a bold touch of elevated color. While looking at more of her work, I noticed the small details she incorporates into her photos such as props mostly on the face. Even with just a bold eye shadow or lip color, it makes the viewer drawn into the photograph even more.

2) What do you believe are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intentions? 


Every series Terra produces, has a meaning behind them. The second photo from the top, is one of her most famous sequence of photos called "Fifty Shades of Melanin". She photographed many girls together with contrasting skin tones with flowers on their faces, depicting we are all one in the same. Each series is captured in a different location to portray the feeling and significance she wants to share with the audience.

4) Why did I chose this artist?

I chose Terra because she was the first artist I fell in love with when entering college. As I got to know her more personally, I became more invested in her technique, and how she came up with these amazing ideas. With no formal training for her craft, I was blown away by how well she is so successful.

3) How do you personally respond to these choices and intents?  

As I see Terra produce photos daily, throughout different social media platforms, I get overwhelmed with excitement to see her creativity come to life. I have known her since she had only a few hundred followers, and now she has well over 21k. I am so proud to see her flourish and experiment and have her outcome be phenomenal. 










No comments:

Post a Comment