Monday, August 27, 2018

Denver Edmonds- Carrie Mae Weems (The Kitchen Table Series)



1)  Technical decision and why I'm compelled/moved by said tech decisions.
The Kitchen Table Series explores the layers of women-hood and black identity. I am drawn to the body of work because of its simple nature, but complexity at the same time.The series clearly tells a story of a black woman and her personal life through friendship, family, and romance. Viewers can see the personality of Carrie Mae Weems and how it translates to her relationships. In some photos, when she displays confidence, she looks back at viewers. When it seems as though she is in emotional distress or contemplation, she looks down. These clues show how she is processing her life as it happens and how her character affects her poses. Furthermore, viewers can tell that she is not only charming by the way she looks at he audience, but how she is also caring by the way she wraps her arms around her lover, puts on her makeup with a young girl, and sits with her friends all at the dinner table. I feel as though she chose to use grey scale for her photos to highlight the intimacy and importance of the events taking place, rather than focus on the hue and saturation (which can be distracting). I was compelled by this series because it shows the hardships and depth of being a black woman; however, the theme of liberation is present throughout the images.

2)  What I believe the artist's intentions and concept are.
The scene, more specifically the kitchen table, is a commentary on the barriers that limit a woman by social standards of society. It represents the misogynistic views of woman-hood. The kitchen table is either bare or Carrie fills the room with people and/or brings objects to the table during certain periods of her life. In a subtle way, this brings life to the kitchen table as well. Carrie constantly adds the layers of her life to table, which is her way of reclaiming the metaphorical object.

3)  How do I personally respond to the intentions and concepts.
Personally, I feel as though the concept, especially for the time of the series, is bold. I feel as though there is a certain lens in which society views women and black people still! It shows that while black people can live ordinary lives, the highs and lows are just as fascinating and devastating. Also, it shows the different nature of black identity and relationships. Carrie has her friend do her hair at the kitchen table in one photo, while she plays cards with by herself in another photo. These are actions that wouldn't be considered normal to do at a kitchen table.

4) Why I chose this artist
I chose Carrie Mae Weems because she was one of the first black photographers that I discovered. The piece relieved me of the isolation I felt from my community as a woman of color. I no longer felt alone in terms of my perceptions of love, belonging, and individuality. From then on, "Family Pictures and Stories" (1981-1982), "From Here I Saw What Happened and Cried" (1995-1996), and "Not Manet's Type" (1997) caused me to shift my role as solely an artist to a black, female artist. These identifying labels are usually constricting in the art industry; nonetheless, I associate myself with the labels to reclaim my history and my future endeavors.






No comments:

Post a Comment