Sunday, November 24, 2013

Jim Mangan - Natalie Kohlhepp


Jim Mangan was born in Illinois in 1973. Mangan has an extensive background in the snowboarding industry, which tends to poke out in his work. Bedu, is the third part of Mangan’ series on rebirth, shot in the Little Sahara Desert, Utah.  Mangan uses a perspective that does remind me of snowboarding/skiing photography, the way he pulls back and shows more of the minimalist nature surrounding the subject.
             His subjects feel like his friends, and much of his work feels like his own memories of these extreme trips they all take together. I can relate to his work in the way that he has this artistic relationship with the people around him, because I also feel that my strongest photos come out of a collaboration of my style of portraiture and my friends’ understanding and willingness to be subjects. Also, nakeds are a reoccurring theme in Mangan’s work; I find nakeds to be far more fascinating than nudes in photography. 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment