Sunday, December 1, 2013

Haruhiko Kawaguchi - Natalie Kohlhepp

Haruhiko Kawaguchi's series "Fresh Love" is so fascinating to me. She takes some of the most unique photographs of couples that she meets in nightclubs in Tokyo. On a white kitchen floor she places the couples into  clear plastic bags meant to hold cushions, blankets, ect., and vacuums out the air. She has maybe 20 seconds to take the image before her subjects need to breath again.The end result are these amazing photographs of couples made to look like pieces of meat that you can buy at the grocery store. 
I think these are completely scary and fascinating. I don't believe that I could do something like this, or even be a subject for Haruhiko Kawaguchi; I would be far too scared of messing up and accidentally hurting/killing someone or being suffocated myself. I feel that her images bring that very visceral fear to her viewers and that is part of what makes her work so strong. 





No comments:

Post a Comment